The Director of Livestock is responsible for overseeing all aspects of an integrated bison cow/calf and feed & grow supply chain. The DOL is be responsible for livestock management, transportation, regulatory oversight, and care and health of all livestock. The DOL works alongside the Ranch Operations Managers, Veterinarians, Consultants, Regulatory Agencies, Office Support Staff and Vendors to assure optimal animal care, tracking, health and performance of all livestock. This position reports directly to the Chief Production Officer.
· Provide effective leadership and management of all current and future livestock programs, ensuring the highest quality care is provided to all animals at all times.
· Develop and manage the Livestock budget and oversee all vendor related relationships.
· Report of weekly and monthly livestock related activities including but not limited to animal health, weather conditions, facility conditions, forage and feed consumption.
· Ensure security of all assets including forage, feed and animal inventories.
· Maintain and improve Individual Bison Identification System (I.B.I.S.).
· Assure effective management of livestock-related relationships such as contracted operations, Veterinarians, Animal Nutritionists, Forage Suppliers, Feed Suppliers, Livestock Carriers, Animal Suppliers, etc.
· Facilitate paperwork and information flow for all animal inbound/outbound animal movements relating to activities such as purchase contracts, import/export requirements, and harvest loads.
· Assist Ranch Operation Management with grazing rotation, animal handling schedule, capital projects.
· Maximize weaning rates and minimize death loss.
· Seek out and implement training opportunities.
· Attend and participate in Bison Industry Associations events as needed and as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
· Ten plus years of hands-on experience in natural livestock management and care. Knowledge of natural, hormone free and antibiotic free grain finishing principles is highly desirable.
· Experience with overseeing the health of livestock including all aspects of animal husbandry.
· Strong desire to be part of a dynamic, entrepreneurial work environment.
· Strong interpersonal skills and communication abilities including excellent writing and computer skills, including Excel.
· Strong organizational abilities, time management skills, people skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
· Ability to work well independently, as a member of a high functioning team and developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
· Ability to work well under pressure.
· Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
· Master’s degree related to Animal Science/Livestock Management is preferred.
· Must be able to work a variable work schedule, which includes work on weekends and holidays.
· Must be able to travel between Canada and USA as required.
· Must be able to work 25% outside of base office. Travel is primarily by vehicle to Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming.
· The Director of Livestock is a full-time, year round, exempt position. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
· Position based on ranching operation near Tompkins, Saskatchewan.
Interested candidates are asked to send a resume to Gary Held at email@example.com